Hair is the biggest asset of every woman. It describes her overall health and personality while enhancing her looks and boosting her self-confidence. But what if these tresses start shedding off all of a sudden? Yes, hair thinning is a major problem among women these days. Blame it for their irregular office shifts, poor diet or lifestyle changes, the truth is women are experiencing acute hairfall and there are several reasons behind it.
Nowadays, every other woman is seen complaining about her hair problems like sudden hair loss, receding hairline or baldness, frizzy hair and whatnot. These problems are the result of a number of factors including your lifestyle and environment.
However, losing 50 to 100 hair per day is completely natural. In fact, it’s a sign that your body is stimulating new and healthier hair to replace the old ones. But, if your hair is falling more than usual or looks thinner, then it needs an immediate remedy.
So here in this article, we will look at the leading causes of hair loss and effective remedies to prevent the same:
- Androgenetic Alopecia: According to the American Academy of Dermatology, Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness) is the most common cause of hair loss. Women suffering from it usually experience general hair thinning, which affects the volume of their hair. It may also lead to problems such as scalp dryness, receding hairline, and unnecessary baldness. The significant factor behind this pattern baldness is ‘Genetics’. This means you can inherit the gene of pattern baldness from either of your parents. However, it may also develop due to natural aging, or inadequate production of androgen hormone.
- Hypothyroidism: In regard to the current scenario, more than 70 percent of the women around the world suffer from thyroid. Thyroid hormone plays a significant role in maintaining the metabolism rate, heart rate, and hair growth. When your body produces less thyroid hormone, you suffer from hypothyroidism. On the other hand, when your body produces the excess hormone, then you’re said to have hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid. The symptoms of Hypothyroidism include sudden weight gain, fatigue, constipation, depression, and hair loss. Your nails, hair, and skin may become more brittle and break more easily due to lack of thyroid hormones. In such circumstances, female hair loss treatment like Hormone Therapy, Hair transplant, and Minoxidil can restore the natural growth of your hair. Even wigs can be a great option to hide your hair problems.
- Nutritional Deficiencies: According to a study, Vitamin D and Iron plays a significant role in stimulating new and old hair follicles in your body. Women who suffer from heavy periods or consume low-vitamin diet can experience excessive hair shedding. Especially, if your diet includes foods that cause hair loss like carbonated drinks, sugary cereals, and dairy products, there’s a high chance of hair thinning. Such foods can result in hair follicle miniaturization, restricted blood flow, and clogging of the sweat pores. That is why dieticians always suggest including food with an adequate amount of proteins, fats, minerals, and vitamins in your diet.
- Medications: It is often observed that high-power medications can damage the hair follicles. When your hair follicles get damaged, the normal cycle of hair growth is disrupted, which ultimately results in sudden hair loss. To be more precise, here we are listing 5 drugs that have known to cause excessive hair loss as a side effect:
- Cholesterol-lowering medications
- Blood pressure medications
- Psoriasis treatment
- Anticonvulsant, Antacid and Gout medication.
- Steroids which lead to overproduction of testosterone and progesterone
If you are taking such kind of medications and are experiencing hair loss, you must visit your doctor for an assessment. Your doctor might reduce the dosage of medication or recommend hair loss vitamins such as Biotin, Niacin to stimulate hair growth.
- Excessive Styling: Vigorous styling practice such as tight braids, cornrows or hair weaves can lead to excessive hair shedding. Also, hair treatments like straightening, perming, keratin, hot-oil massage or application of any kind of harsh chemicals can also result in hair fall. Such practices can lead to a medical condition called trichorrhexis nodosa, where hair loss is not necessarily from the roots but from the shafts. So to tackle the problem of hair thinning, the American Academy of Dermatology has recommended the following steps:
- Using a prescribed conditioner after every shampoo.
- Avoid using a blow dryer and let the hair dry naturally.
- Limiting the heat of styling tools such as hot rollers, curling iron, and flat iron.
In case you are already experiencing baldness or thin hair and nothing seems like working for you, then you can try using hair toppers as a temporary relief. Hair toppers can conceal hair loss at various stages and different areas of the scalp by eventually adding volume to your thin hair.
Your hair condition can clearly indicate your overall health. Therefore, it’s important to take care of them in the right way. As your hair not only enhances your appearance, but also reflects your lifestyle and habits. So, if you are already experiencing hair loss, do not delay it any further and get yourself evaluated by a dermatologist. A right female hair loss treatment at the right time can save your crowning glory.